I had fun posting my Game of Thrones reaction last week, so I thought I’d do it again. Here we go with Season 7, Episode 2. Stormborn!
- We head straight in to the opening this week!
- Oh wow…. What a storm! I wonder who has thunder buddies?
- Tyrion convinces Dany to take the slow road to becoming Queen at Kings Landing to avoid turning Westeros to ashes. Pretty sensible if I say so myself.
- Danny is being a bit harsh on Varys if I’m honest, but I suppose it is kinda warranted… I mean he was behind her attempted assassination.
- BACKTRACK, VARYS… BACKTRACK!!! Varys explains he serves the realm. His true loyalty lies with The People. “The People have no better chance than you” – Varys, to which Dany replies “If you ever think I’m failing The People you like me in the eyes and tell me”. Something tells me he will…
- We have a much darker Dany on our hands these days. I’m not too sure how I feel about this.
- The red priestess is at dragon stone! Drawing similarities between Jon and Dany with their compassion on those stuck between a wall (literally) and a hard place.
- Dany sends a raven north to invite Jon over for a chat and to bend the knee… Does she not know the power he holds in the north? Albeit, not as much as 3 dragons… He’ll have a sleep on it!
- Cersei has called in all of the Southern Lords to let them know what to expect from the Dothraki and Daenerys. They all appear to have some concerns though… 3 big fire-breathing concerns. But don’t worry, for Pycell is working on a solution.
- Oh wait, that was Lord Tarley!! How did I not recognise him? And surely I can’t be the only one who sniggered at ‘Dickon’…
- “Do you fight with us or foreign savages and eunuchs?” Jaime promises Warden of South when war is won. Surely that’s a bit fruitless if the Queen rules in the south?
- Jorah! Covered in greyscale. Sam mentions Shereen being healed but the Grand Maester tells him it can’t be done in these stages.
- Meanwhile, in Kings Landing, Pycelle takes Cersei on a trip to the cellars of Kings Landing to look at dragon skulls. That’s a big’un for sure! Oh wow… what’s this? Wow, that’s a big crossbow!! Medieval anti aircraft at it’s finest!
- Why does no-one other than Tyrion understand that rushing into things won’t work? The Tyrells and Greyjoys all want to go guns blazing!
- Lady Olena is trying to convince Dany to used the Unsullied “They won’t obey you unless they fear you” but Dany has other plans for them! The Unsullied are heading to Casterly Rock to take it from the Lannisters. It’s about time someone else had a turn there!
- Missandei laying the “I’m going to miss you” emo vibes on Grey Worm. She is Grey Worm’s weakness apparently. FINALLY, THEY KISS!!
- He’s like a rabbit in the headlights…
- Ok, I know Game of Thrones is known for its explicit scenes but wow… they showed a lot! (Albeit out of focus….)
- Turns out the guy who cured Shereens greyscale also died of it so his treatment is banned. D’oh! Oh wait, here comes Sam with his little doctor’s trolley… Sam you little rebel.
- Rum!! I knew those Westerosi liked to party. Essentially Jorah, you’re getting a skin graft. Don’t scream as Sam cuts your infected flesh off…
- Oh wow, what a place to cut the scene, although I’m never eating a white chicken pie again!!
- Arya and Hot Pie are reunited “You’ve been making pies?”… Ummm you could say that!
- Arya finds out that Jon is king of the north after beating the Bolton’s! Will she head north instead?
- Woohoo! Arya is going home!!
- Jon has just had Sams raven about the dragon glass mountain on Dragonstone.
- The Northern Lords seem dubious of Danys invite. Jon explains that they need the dragon glass and more importantly, allies. How else are they going to beat all them White Walkers?
- Apparently, the Northern Lords, alongside Sansa, claim they can’t trust a Targaryen or Lannister. We need our ‘King in The North’, in the north. Jon has seen the army of the dead though and knows that back up is more important, so off he goes and now we have…
- Queen in the North! I’m not sure how I feel about Sansa ruling the North, especially with Littlefinger still hanging around. I don’t trust that fella as far as I can throw him…
- We’re back with Arya and she’s camping in the snow. Her horse is getting spooked. Somethings about to happen… NYMERIA!!! And her wolf pack… my what big teeth you have!
- Smooth sailing on the at to Dorne. I trust no one in this show… there’s still time in the episode
- Just as they’re getting frisky, bang! Under attack. Uncle Euron, is that you? He’s the only one other one with a fleet. Yep, it’s him and he’s nuttier than ever!
- Looks like Danys fleet is going down in flames… The Sand Snakes are also being picked off one by one.
- Give your uncle a kiss! Yara goes in for some 1v1
- Be brave, Theon!! Nope. He’s bolted. Bolton conditioning never leaves you apparently! He watches the ships sail off into the moonlight… and credits roll!
So, overall I thought it was a pretty strong episode, however after the explosiveness of episode 1 it was a tough act to follow. Considering we’re 3 episodes shorter than normal with this season, you can certainly tell that the pace has picked up as characters (and Ravens!) are moving around the map a lot quicker than in earlier seasons.
Highlights for me certainly had to be the unexpected raid from Euron at the end of the episode along with Nymeria returning. It’ll be good to have another Direwolf on the Northerner’s side.
On the flip side of this, I love the scenes between Dany, Tyrion, Varys & the other leaders. The verbal to and fro is always superbly written for these characters.
Let me know what you thought of the episode in the comments below or via Twitter on @8dayssooner and let me know which parts you enjoyed most too! If you want me to do more blogs in this style, let me know and I’ll try and do them for the entire series.